Thursday, April 06, 2006

Thank You

I expect to pass through life but once.
If therefore, there be any kindness I can show,
or any good thing I can do to any fellow being,
let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it,
as I shall not pass this way again.
~William Penn


There are nice people, and then there are nice people. Some peope are just nice because they have to be, or because they are expected to be, or because that's what mom and dad pounded into their brains when they were younger. Then there are those rare people who just have kindness in their character...the kind of people who'd do something nice and never tell a soul.

Recently, someone was nice to me when I wasn't even looking. And that gesture made me feel, for the lack of a better word...nice. It wasn't because it resulted in my getting something that I wanted, but because of the thought. Someone thought of me for however fleeting a moment and did something sweet that they didn't have to. And that person doesn't even know me. It feels strange to explain why what they did mattered, because somehow it doesn't do it justice...but I had to try.

I guess this is just my way of saying thanks, Nick...for what you gave me, and for what you've shown me. I do wish I'd gotten the chance to get to know you, and I hope everything works out for you, for real.

I admire your courage and your strength in places where I could never have it.

Thank You.

3 comments:

aka_lol said...

Genuine kindness, the type which has no devious ulterior motive like super-sizing your order or making it a meal, is rare. The "nice" thing about real kindness is that it's contagious.

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

Leo F. Buscaglia

TiZiK said...

You're welcome Heidi, and you sis a lot for me too, even though it may not seem like much. Just knowing that somebody who doesn't even know me well took the time out of their day to give me encouragement meant the world to me. I'm sorry we didn't get to know each other better too, take care, I'm sure out paths will cross again.

HS said...

:)