Friday, May 19, 2006

Occupy.

"Work spares us from three evils: boredom, vice, and need."
~ Voltaire, 1694-1778

I hate to beg for anything. More than I hate standing in lines at any place aside from the box office. Last week I begged, to the fullest extent that my pride would let me, for 'Work for Housing'. That's where they give you housing in exchange for 20 hours of work per week. My first application was rejected, because none of the Community Directors "knew me," so they didn't pick me. So I applied for 'Summer Housing' which is where they give you housing in exchange for money. And lots of it. I resigned to using my Supply Chain Management Research paycheck to pay for housing. That way I'd pretty much break even, and survive the summer. The research would be something to put on my resumé, and it'd help me get into Grad School...which I'm not sure I even want to do anyway. Then my normal job would cover my costs of living. Why didn't I intern on Wall Street this summer? Oh right, cause I'd rather gouge my eyes out with a toothpick.

Today I got a call saying that I had been chosen to replace someone who failed to show up for their 'Work for Housing'. So yay, now I don't have to pay for my housing, and I can probably (notice I said probably) save some money and stop being the stereotypical broke college student. The sum of all of this however, is that I have to work three jobs this summer. I am going to hate all three of them, it's going to be sickeningly hot and I'm going to be sickeningly lonely. I guess being busy and tired as shit will help me stay out of trouble, which I've already somehow found myself in. Why didn't I just go to Trinidad and lounge around all day? Oh right, cause that'd cost money...that I don't have.

Ahh, being an adult sucks. For those of you thinking about it, I don't recommend it.

7 comments:

aka_lol said...

Voltaire said the word "evil" is if it was a bad thing. Boredom and greed I agree with, but vice; that's a different story.

The most important duty of an adult is not in the ability to act maturely and sanely when the odd occasion calls for it, but in finding necessities to spend all your money on. Housing is considered a basic necessity just as popcorn at the movies and fries at McDonalds. However, I am not absolutely sure that tan lines are a necessity but they do look good on some people.

I have heard people say all they need is a roof over their head and they would be happy, but I need walls as well because I don't enjoy frightening the neighbors, or even their pets. As much as I can be entertaining in bed I don't feel the general public is ready for me.

I never realized people still gouged their eyes out with toothpicks instead of interning on Wall Street, but that goes to show how little I know of the real world. Working three jobs just to stay out of trouble shows you are resilient, mature, resourceful and a troublemaker. All are most admirable qualities in any adult girl, especially in one formerly from Trinidad.

Incidentally, lounging around in Trinidad doesn't cost a whole lot of money and the one or two vagrants I interviewed actually had none.

Once again, a fine blog by any standard, and it was not only entertaining to read, but informative. (However, I was grossed out a bit by the graphic eye gouging toothpick scene, but for reasons unknown, I keep rewinding back to it).

Keep it up :)

dregus said...

I vote for lounging in Trinidad.All in favour...shut up lol boy!

aka_lol said...

..shut up lol boy!

:)) even I have to admit that was funny by any standard, and even none :)

cool blog :)

HS said...

i want to come home dregus :(

thanks aka. if i had an ego...it'd be quite impressive at this moment...:)

TiZiK said...

come home...we go lime...seeing as how we never did in Howard...

Anonymous said...

the toothpick -eye-gouging thing didnt work for me... it really hurts

aka_lol said...

hs, a man's ego is his best friend and can also be a woman's. Adopt one today :))

For reasons unknown, I like this blog but I'm now afraid of toothpicks :)