Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Emergency hysterectomy...STAT.

“I would be the most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.”
~ Anna Quindlen

Child-rearing must be the hardest job on earth.

I love my neices and nephews. I had never seen half of them before I met them until last Tuesday, but I instantly loved them: without reason, and without condition. Can I always stand them? Hell no. I got to be "Aunty" (though none of them called me that) for seven days, and I distinctly remember saying to my father more than once over the past week, "I'm never having children." I know this is a far cry from what I had planned for my life, if indeed I ever planned anything. But oh my God. Children are hard-damned-work. Especially four of them. Just keeping them alive and functioning is exhausting, far less for keeping them sane, sensible and happy. It's so tempting to shove a bottle in their faces , or stick them in front of the TV so they'd just shut up for a second. That's so wrong. I know that, yet I was still tempted to do it. That's why I decided that I'm never having any. I don't want my children to end up as little good-for-nothings, nor do I want them to resent me for the rest of their lives. I want them to be intelligent, successful, good citizens of the world, who are able to better it by being in it. That's a tall order. I couldn't do it with a robot, far less a child.

How the hell could anyone trust ME with a child?

I'm calling my OB/GYN.

2 comments:

aka_lol said...

Children are always nice but only in a prefect World, the World of ideal nannies and caring babysitters. Since the world is never perfect, especially in soap operas, then what do we do? The problem with children is that too many people who are mentally ill equipped to raise them are having them. Children can change your life, and if someone doesn’t know how to handle simultaneous pain and happiness then having children would be a bad idea. Yes, children are also a financial burden but what else would you spend your money on, food and clothes for yourself perhaps? It's no point having a child if that child is going to become a replica of their parents. That is a big mistake because if the World is to be a better place then the children of the World need to be better than their parents, and hopefully, much better.

It's hard to imagine what madness takes place in a couple’s head when they decide to have children. I think a great dislike for oneself and the need to make amends by producing a human, who will not be an embarrassment to the human race, like the parents, is the greatest motivating force. The other overwhelming factor is the dislike of birth-control methods or the inability to get to it in time. Some say parents are given children as a payback for once being one. That is only reasonable. Nobody ever said that life is a bed of roses but must it have so many thorns? Children can be your greatest triumph, or your greatest defeat. They could be your reason for living or your reason for wishing you were dead. The choice is usually yours :)

Anonymous said...

i predict that u gonna have more than 4 chirren.